|How to Celebrate the Oscars in New York City
Categories: Latest News
Posted: February 23, 2012
by Ted Greenberg
|+ POST A COMMENT
// COMMENTS (0)
One of the biggest parties in the world will unfurl on the West Coast this weekend. Hollywood will celebrate its biggest night of the year, the 2012 Academy Awards, on Sunday, February 26, 2012. While a billion people around the world will tune into the show’s broadcast to enjoy and ridicule the fashion choices of the celebrities, New Yorkers can prep for the event in five easy ways.
5. The Waverly Inn. Cannot make it to LA and one of the million pre-Oscars Vanity Fair parties, try to get a reservation at the next best thing, editor Graydon Carter’s restaurant The Waverly Inn.
4. Go Hollywood. Hollywood Tans that is. Stand out in a sea of pale New Yorkers when you hit your Oscar party with a golden glow. There are two Manhattan locations. We recommend UV-Free Tanning to be on the safe side.
3. Pamper yourself at Juvenex. The Korean spa offers body scrubs, massages as well as dips in water pools and a jade sauna. Frequented by celebrities (including Puffy and Sofia Coppola), Juvenex will right all of your ills.
2. Tap Dancing. In honor of the movie most likely to walk away with the Best Picture prize, The Artist, take a tap dancing or some other class at Broadway Dance Center. Boogie the day away and emulate the black and white film.
1. Katz’s Deli. Known for its World War II slogan: “Send a salami to your boy in the Army,” Katz’s Deli entered mainstream consciousness thanks to Meg Ryan’s pleasurable scene in “When Harry Met Sally.” Director Rob Reiner had the chutzpah to cast his mother as a fellow diner in that famous scene and gave her the memorable line, “I want what she’s having.” Grab a sandwich and see if the sandwiches cast a similar spell over you. Or simply watch the NSFW clip.
My Saturday night show – Ted Greenberg’s The Complete Performer – is also the perfect warm-up for Oscar Sunday.