|Top Five Things to Do in New York This Weekend
Categories: Comedians,Comedy Shows,Latest News
Posted: June 7, 2012
by Ted Greenberg
|+ POST A COMMENT
// COMMENTS (0)
Summer weekends are meant for leaving town unless you’re a die-hard New Yorker like myself, who performs his mostly one man comedy show every Saturday night in all seasons. This weekend, in particular, is a hotbed for activity — something for everyone to enjoy. I highlight my top five things to do in the Big Apple June 8th – 10th.
5. Rhett Miller and the Serial Lady Killers provide many good reasons to go to the Bowery Ballroom Friday night at 8:00 pm. The boyishly handsome Texas bandleader is best known for his work with the fantastic alt-rock Old 97′s, but this time he swings through town with his backing solo band — The Serial Lady Killers. Miller’s observational songs go down as easy as a cold beer on a hot day and offer a number of laughs as he details nights of drinking, meeting the fairer sex and everything in between. Not to be missed.
4. Susie Essman at Carolines. Get your weekend started early and see her on Thursday night (she also headlines the 8th and 9th)! Essman is probably best known for playing hot tempered Susie Greene on “Curb Your Enthusiam.” She also entertained audiences in the Vagina Monologues opposite Robin Givens and Donna Hanover over a decade ago. In this video clip with Tavis Smiley, Susie discusses how people approach her to cuss them out like her character Susie Greene.
3. Moonrise Kingdom, the latest film from Wes Anderson, wowed critics in Cannes before its limited release stateside. It is my favorite film by Anderson since Rushmore. Funny. Moving. Charming. Insouciant. It has all the nuanced and quirky touches you expect from an Anderson film and boasts a top rate cast. It’s a summer flick worth seeing NOW.
2. The Soundtrack Series is a monthly event where top playwrights, critics and entertainers riff about their favorite songs. This go-round Clay Mcleod Chapman, Michael Criscuolo and Cami Clamaco will tackle such great tunes from their proms, such as Ace of Base’s “The Sign,” “I Used to Love Her” by Guns N Roses, and Mariah Carey’s “Always Be My Baby.” Be transported to one of life’s most seminal rituals — Prom — and prepare to laugh about the exploits of the six writers. The event is at 8:00 pm Friday night, June 8th, at The Gallery at Le Poisson Rouge in Greenwich Village.
1. Root for I’ll Have Another, the amazing horse that is vying for the Triple Crown. His two come-from-behind victories at the Kentucky Derby and Preakness were spellbinding to watch. Now, all eyes will be on I’ll Have Another as he races for immortality at the Belmont Stakes. Race time is 6:30 pm. It will be the fastest, most exciting two minutes of the weekend.
- Top Five Things to Do in New York This Weekend
- Five Things to Do in SoHo This Weekend | March 9 – 11, 2012
- Why TJ & Dave Are a Smart Bet | See them in NYC